KEEPING UP TO DATE
Managing Public Holidays
28 September 2021
Given that Public Holidays are on the horizon in NSW, SA and ACT (plus ongoing preparation for school holidays), please see our checklist to make public holidays easier for your business.
- If an employee has applied for leave (annual or personal) before or after the public holiday you still pay the public holiday as normal hours. It is not deducted from annual leave.
- If the person is on unpaid leave (such as pandemic leave or parental leave), they are not legally entitled to receive paid public holiday leave.
- If an employee is sick on the day before or after a public holiday, depending on your leave policy, you can request evidence of illness prior to paying them for the day. We recommend you communicate this early
- If an employee is rostered to work on a public holiday on a day they don’t normally work, and calls in sick, they don’t get paid for that day.
- For the correct public holiday rates of pay please refer to the correct award for the position or contact Impact HR for advice.
More News? Sign Up for our e-Newsletter?